7.19.2011

A Tribe Called Quest Saved My Life

Last night I saw the new movie Beats, Rhymes and Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest and I was most pleased. I've been a big fan of Tribe, ever since they saved my life. Let me explain. On November 9, 1993 I was a soldier serving in the army in Germany. On this particular date, we were out in Grafenwoehr, Germany doing training. Right before I left to camp in the woods for a few weeks, I picked up Midnight Marauders. From the beginning with the tour guide announcing "Hello, this is your Midnight Marauder program. I am on the front of your cover. I will be enhancing your cassette and CD with certain facts that you may find beneficial The average bounce meter for your Midnight Marauder program will be In the area of 95 bpm We hope that you will find our presentation precise, bass-heavy, and just right."

The training was cold, wet, muddy and just plain miserable but I kept that CD on repeat knowing that half way around the world, things were not only "just right", but that people were rejoicing this CD. I know I was. So, yeah this was my introduction to A Tribe Called Quest and it literally kept me sane.

Go see the movie, you won't regret it ... even if you are not a fan or even a fan of hip-hop. The story is the same for many bands and indeed many who work together. The initial period is often the most creative, where people are working together at their prime ... each person bringing their own edge to the game. Then once the fame and money comes, the egos, animosity, and resentment set in as one person is perceived to be the frontman. This leads to passive aggressive behavior that can trigger years of bitterness and fighting if communication is not optimal. The movie gives us a pretty objective viewpoint of all the members and leaves us with the underlying question ~ can we ever get back to the glory days of A Tribe Called Quest?


Beats, Rhymes and Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest 

Documentary (Trailer)





A Tribe Called Quest - Lyrics to Go





Keys N Krates Remixes Tribe Called Quest


No comments:

Post a Comment